Dried green peas are cooked until soft and then seasoned with spices to create a simple, yet comforting curry that is perfect for serving with flatbread. This dish comes together very quickly with very few ingredients, most of which you probably already have, making it a perfect weeknight meal. Just remember to soak the dried green peas overnight to speed up cooking time.
Easy Peas Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Peas:
- 1 cup dried green peas (green vatana)
- 2 cups water to soak, plus cook
- Salt, to taste
For the Curry:
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1-inch piece ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1 cup tomato, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon (heaped) red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 cup water, as needed
- A handful of fresh coriander, chopped
For the Optional Garnish:
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- Soak the dried green peas overnight. Pressure cook the soaked peas in the water it soaked in with 1/4 teaspoon salt until soft.
- Heat oil in a pan and once warm, add cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
- Then add the chopped onion, grated ginger, garlic, and a pinch of salt. Sauté until the onions are soft.
- Add the powdered spices (turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala) and cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, cover and cook over medium heat until the tomatoes are soft and can be mashed to a pulp with a spoon.
- Add the cooked green peas and cooking liquid. Add more water to make the curry as runny as you prefer. Cover and let it come to a rolling boil.
- Remove from heat, garnish with freshly chopped cilantro. Optionally, just before serving, top with a little chopped onion (for crunch) and a quick squeeze of lemon juice.