A Curry Masala is something that can easily prepared for the entire week, which is awesome because you're a busy individual but you want great vegan food! A hearty and warm fragrant sauce with ginger and cumin is sure to be perfect for any night.
Easy and Basic Curry Masala [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup of canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 and 1/2 cups of diced red onions (about 3 red onions)
- 2 tablespoons of minced garlic (about 10 cloves)
- 2 tablespoons of grated ginger
- 1 tablespoons of minced green chilies
- 4 pounds of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon of ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon of ground cumin
- 1 and 1/2 of teaspoons of salt (this is relatively low)
- Turn the instant pot setting to sauté and add in the oil. After about 3 minutes add in the cumin seeds. The seeds should begin to sizzle.
- Add in the onions and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until the onions begin to wilt and soften.
- Add in the garlic and ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in the chilies, tomatoes, cumin and coriander and the salt and cook for 5 minutes.
- Cover and cook for 7 minutes on manual mode.
- Let the steam release naturally.
- Remove the lid and mix well to form an even base.
- Turn on sauté more and let the mixture thicken for about 5 minutes.
- Store in jars.
This sauce can be frozen or it will keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.