Trust me when I say that this easy apple galette recipe is a must-make! It’s beautifully spiced with apple pie flavors like cinnamon, cardamom and nutmeg, and sweetened with coconut sugar for an insanely delicious filling amongst a flaky pastry crust.
Easy Apple Galette [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons organic cane sugar plus more to sprinkle
- 3/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/3 cup vegan butter cold
- 4 to 5 tablespoons water cold
- 3 pink lady apples thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt finely ground
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter melted
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Add the sugar and salt, and mix gently to combine. Cut 1/3 cup of vegan butter into small chunks and add. Massage with hands to combine until it resembles a coarse meal.
- Pour in 4 tbsp cold water into the flour mixture and massage with hands to form a shaggy dough (optional to add 1 tbsp more, in small splashes, if the dough is too dry). Then, turn the dough onto work surface and collect together. Knead until smooth and dough-like. Then form a ball. (It’s okay if there are a few dry spots). Cover the dough in reusable wrap and chill in fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the apples (removing the inner core) to be about 1/8-inch thick. Toss into a large mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, coconut sugar and sea salt. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the sliced apples, then pour in the apple cider vinegar and vanilla extract. Mix gently with your hands to combine. Cover with a kitchen towel and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle work surface lightly with flour and roll out the dough to form a rectangle about 1/8-inch thick. (It’s okay if the edges are wobbly and not a perfect. It adds to the rustic look). Transfer the pastry to a baking sheet.
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Arrange the apple slices on top of tart dough, tightly, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Then, lift the edges of the dough up and inwards, over-top of the apples. Overlap the dough as needed and pinch together to keep its shape.
- Drizzle the inside of the tart with any leftover juices from your apples. Paint the exposed crust with 1 tablespoon of melted vegan butter. Optional to sprinkle crust with cane sugar. Bake until the apples are soft and the crust is golden brown, for 40-50 minutes. Serve with vegan whipped cream, or your favorite vegan ice cream.