This dish is gorgeous to look at, amazing to eat, and will definitely impress your guests or that special date. As Bugs Bunny used to say, “Come with me to the Casbah” and share this delectable vegan and gluten-free meal with me. Enjoy!
Casbah Tofu With Yellow Rice [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed and drained
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 2 Tbs. curry powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs. canola oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut on the diagonal
- 1 Tbs. fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 cup green olives, sliced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- ¼ cup onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 2 ½ cups water or low-sodium vegetable broth
- Kosher salt to taste
- Cut the tofu into cubes. In a shallow dish combine the flour, curry powder, salt and pepper. Toss the tofu cubes into the flour mix to coat. Heat the oil in a large sauté pan (that has a lid) over medium high heat. Cook the tofu cubes in the oil until browned on all sides, about 8 minutes. You may have to do this in batches depending on the size of your pan. Set the tofu cubes aside and try not to snack on too many while you make the rest of the dish.
- In the same pan, add the onion and cook until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots, ginger and garlic and cook 4-6 minutes until the vegetables start to soften. You can add more oil, broth or water if the pan is dry. Add the spices and mix them in thoroughly. Mix in the raisins and the olives. Add the vegetable broth and cover the pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove the lid, add the tofu cubes (what’s left of them) into the pan and continue to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by half.
- Turn off the heat. Add the lemon zest, parsley and mint to garnish. Serve with yellow rice.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion, garlic and turmeric for about 2 minutes. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute until it gets a bit toasty. Add the water or broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until the rice is tender. Add salt to taste. Fluff with a fork. Serve with the Casbah Tofu.