How much do you associate the flavors of apple & cinnamon with fall and winter? For me, it's a nearly impossible combination to avoid as the temperature drops and the leaves fall. Something about the warm, cozy smell of spicy cinnamon, nutmeg, and crisp, sweet baked apples makes me swoon. Apple pies and crumbles are great- just a little overdone. Google 'vegan apple pie' and you will be waist deep in results from all over the world in seconds. I wanted something special, and in brainstorming apple blondies, apple crisp, and apple cheesecake crossed my mind. But I am so glad I made this, instead. I love the simplicity of one pan baking -and using cast iron contributes to iron intake. (As vegans, we tend to run a little anemic.) Plus, less dishes to wash at the end!
Deep Dish Apple Cinnamon Skillet Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 1 cup coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar or sucanant
- 2 flax eggs* or egg replacers
- 1/2 cup nut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups GF all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xantham gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 cups peeled and diced apples
For the Maple Vanilla Glaze:
- 1 cup raw soaked cashews
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup to 2/3 cup water
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Grease a large cast iron skillet and set aside. We used a deep-dish, 9-inch cast iron skillet. This cake doesn't rise a ton, so alternately you can bake the batter in a regular 9-inch or larger skillet and it'll work just fine. Just be sure to adjust the cooking times so it isn't undercooked or overcooked- you can check the done-ness with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, you're good. Any batter on the stick means it needs a little longer.
- In a mixing bowl beat together butter or softened coconut oil and sugars until fluffy. Add the “eggs” and whisk until completely combined. Add milk & vanilla; stir until a goopy batter starts to form.
- In a separate, medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, xantham gum, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Add dry to wet and combine. Add diced apples and mix well.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 45-55 minutes, until toothpick comes clean.
To Make the Maple Vanilla Glaze:
- In a food processor or high-speed blender combine cashews, syrup, and vanilla. Begin blending, adding water until desired consistency is reached.
- Add frosting to cake just prior to serving.
A single flax egg is made by combining 1 tbls ground flax with 3 tbls warm water and letting it gelatinize for about 5 minutes. Can be served from the skillet and kept on the counter, covered for up to 3 days or in the fridge, covered about 10 days. Glaze stays saved in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.