Pumpkin bread goes wonderfully with velvety cream cheese so why not just combine the two? This moist, date-sweetened bread has everything you want in pumpkin bread – purée, pie spice, vanilla, healthy flour – plus a delicious surprise: cream cheese! Slice off a piece, toast it, and enjoy the melty, comforting goodness.
Date-Sweetened Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread [Vegan]
For the Pumpkin Bread:
- 2 cups gluten-free oat flour
- 1 16-ounce can of pumpkin purée
- 1 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds plus 6 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crushed nuts (optional)
For the Cream Cheese Filling:
- 1/3 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 medium ripe banana
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a bread pan with parchment paper.
- Remove pits from dates, and place in a bowl covered in warm water for 15 minutes.
- Mix chia seeds with water, then set aside to thicken.
- Drain dates and add to a food processor with the pumpkin and vanilla. Process until dates are broken and smooth.
- Place into a large mixing bowl and thoroughly combine with the remaining ingredients.
- Pour half of the batter into a lined baking dish, smooth that out, then top with cream cheese mixture. Once that is smoothed out, add the remaining batter and level out the top.
- Add any toppings if desired.
- Bake for 55 minutes, and cool completely before serving.