This soup is the ideal bowl filler for a cold winter night. It combines the warming mix of flavors curry provides any dish with the rich silky texture of kabocha squash, also known as Japanese pumpkin.
Curried Kabocha Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 kabocha squash, cubed, around 5 cups
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 3 teaspoon curry powder, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon lime juice, about 1/2 lime
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the oil in a large pot and heat it on a medium heat.
- Add onions and sauté for 5 minutes until soft. Next, add garlic, and saute until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add squash, broth, coconut milk, and curry. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer soup for 20 minutes or until the squash is soft.
- Add lime juice, salt, and pepper. Puree in batched in a food processor or with an immersion blender.
- Top the soup with a drizzle of coconut milk and serve.