The age-old art of pickling is a good one to familiarize yourself with because pickles are healthy, they are a great way to cut back on food waste, and you can easily customize them to your palate. This recipe gives you a basic take on your classic dill pickle and from this foundation – the sky is the limit.
Cucumbers Małosolne: Polish Pickles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- A few sprigs fennel
- A handful of celery leaves
- A pinch of celery seeds
- Some horseradish root
- Salt and water in a ratio of 1 tablespoon of salt per 4 1/2 cups of water
- A few black currant leaves (optional)
- A few cherry leaves (optional)
- A few oak leaves (optional)
- Put your cucumbers in the jar upright, tightly stuffing them in.
- Add the garlic cloves, fennel, and celery leaves, a piece of horseradish, and some horseradish leaf.
- Boil the water and add your salt.
- Pour this mixture over your cucumbers up to the rim of your vessel.
- Let this stand for at least a day before eating the pickles.