These crispy buffalo tofu bites will have even the most snobbish chicken wing connoisseur switching to a plant-based diet – they are that good. The crispy exterior offers the texture of that fried goodness you expect in a chicken wing, and the tofu delivers on the tenderness you expect from perfectly cooked chicken. So, if you love wings, this dish will provide you with a healthier alternative. Plus, it's to die for.
Crispy Buffalo Tofu Bites [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 16 ounces extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into 1x1-inch cubes.
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce of your choice, plus 1/2 cup set aside for later
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut oil
- Drain and remove the tofu from its packaging. Press the tofu for 30 minutes.
- Once the tofu is good to go, cut it into cubes and place it into a freezer bag along with your vegetable broth, 2 tablespoons of hot sauce, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours. The longer, the better.
- Once the tofu has marinated, please remove it from the freezer bag and transfer it to a bowl; discard the extra marinade from the bag.
- Sprinkle the cornstarch over the tofu and toss it to coat. Use more if needed.
- Heat the coconut oil in a skillet over moderate heat.
- Place the tofu cubes into the skillet and fry them until they are golden brown and crispy on each side — around 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer the tofu to a bowl and drizzle the 1/2 cup of hot sauce over it.
- Toss it to coat evenly.
To press the tofu, you either use a tofu press or simply open the package of tofu and drain out all of the water. Cut the block of tofu, lengthwise, into 1/2 inch thick slices. You should get 6-7 of them. Place a dishtowel on a flat surface, such as a cutting board, cookie sheet, or tray. Set down a few paper towels on top of the towel. Place the tofu slices on top of the towels and add more paper towels on top. Set some heavy objects on top of the tofu. The best way to go about this is to set another cookie sheet on top and then set heavy things on top of the cookie sheet — such as a heavy pot or canned goods. Let it be for at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours.