This crisp, crunchy, fragrant, and gorgeous salad is a perfect summer meal or side dish. It's light and the flavor combination is beautiful.
Crunchy Vietnamese Vermicelli Salad [Vegan]
- 2, 100 gram packs of vermicelli rice noodles
- 1 large red capsicum (also known as bell peppers), core removed, seeds out and very finely sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- a handful of spring onion (also known as scallions), washed, cut in 1/2, sliced into thin strips lengthwise
- 1 bunch of Vietnamese mint, washed and roughly chopped
- a good handful of basil, washed and gently torn
- 1 cup of crushed, salted and roasted peanuts
- 2 limes, juiced
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 small red chilli, halved and finely sliced
- 2 lemon grass stems, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon of coconut sugar (alternatively use soft brown sugar)
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, roughly chopped
- Combine all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl until they are well combined and set aside.
- Cover the noodles with boiling water and soak them till cooked. This takes approx 10 minutes. Refresh them in cold water immediately and drain. Grab handfuls of the noodles and roughly chop at them with scissors. This just makes them combine a little easier with the salad ingredients and makes the salad easier to eat.
- Combine the noodles with the rest of the ingredients (except for the nuts).
- Add the dressing to the noodles mixture and stir well to combine.
- Garnish with the crushed peanuts.
You can serve this immediately or refrigerate (minus the peanuts, until you serve it) and allow the flavors to develop even further. If you do this though, DON'T tear the basil or add the mint and basil until you go to serve the salad or they will brown and bruise.