A delicious, creamy yet light soup thickened with white beans and flavored with your favorite pesto. An elegant bowl to serve to company or a comforting dinner on a chilly evening.
Creamy White Bean Pesto Soup [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 white sweet onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup white wine (may substitute extra stock)
- 2 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon tarragon, dried
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 19-ounce cans white kidney beans, drained well and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of your favorite pesto
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garlic and sautée until onions are translucent.
- Add wine (or stock), basil and tarragon and stir everything to coat. Bring to a boil and let simmer until wine is reduced to half.
- Add chopped tomatoes, beans, stock and salt. Return to a boil and reduce to a simmer until tomatoes are soft (should only take a few minutes)
- Remove from heat and let sit.
- If using a hand blender, you may perform the next step while soup is still warm. If you are using a food processor you will want to wait until mostly cooled and then reheat.
- Pour out half the soup and blend (hand blender, regular blender, or processor) until completely smooth. Pour back in with the rest of the soup along with the pesto. Stir to mix everything through.
- Serve warm with an extra dollop of pesto.