This Creamy Vegan Greek Lemon Rice Soup can be whipped up in an instant and it's super authentic and easy.
Creamy Vegan Greek Lemon Rice Soup [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups sweet white onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery stalk, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, finely chopped or cut into 1/2 inch rounds (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 vegetable stock cubes (or 2 tablespoons vegetable stock paste) organic, no added salt
- 5-6 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 3/4 -1 cup uncooked brown jasmine rice or other rice of your choice (i.e. basmati)
- season to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or dill finely chopped
For the Avgolemono:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons white miso paste
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 cups stock from soup
- finely chopped dill or parsley
- Into a large stock pot add your olive oil, onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes, make sure to stir occasionally to avoid any browning or burning. You don’t want the vegetables to develop any colour, just want them translucent and soft.
- Once your veggies have cooked down for 10 minutes you can add your veg stock cubes, water, nutritional yeast and tamari or soy sauce.
- Bring this mixture to a boil, lower heat and add your rice. Cook for around 20 minutes with lid on or until your rice is cooked.
- While your soup is cooking prepare your Miso Tahini Lemon Sauce simply by adding all your ingredients into a blender (2 cups of stock from the soup - avoid scooping out rice, tahini, white miso & lemon juice) and blending till smooth. NOTE: let your stock from soup cool for a few minutes in the blender before blending with other ingredients.
- Remove pot from the heat once it's ready and begin stirring in your lemon sauce. Continue stirring till well combined. Add your fresh dill or parsley and stir just once more.
- Give your soup a little taste test then add necessary seasoning. Enjoy hot with more fresh parsley or dill!
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile