A savory-sweet take on a classic risotto with chewy chunks of apricots, meaty mushrooms and a hint of nutmeg.
Creamy Risotto With Apricots and Baby Bella Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil + 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa (or 3 cups cooked quinoa)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 5 cups vegan broth
- 1 cup dried apricots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups baby bella or crimini mushrooms, sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil and onions in a large pot, cooking about 20 minutes to caramelize.
- Add quinoa and stir to coat. Add wine and wait for quinoa to absorb it (about 1-2 minutes).
- ***If using dry quinoa: Add one cup of broth at a time until absorbed, then add 1 teaspoon salt + an additional 1/2 cup of water. Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. Proceed to Step #4.
- ***If using pre-cooked quinoa, use half the amount of broth, skip the water and leave heat at a low simmer. Skip to step #5.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cook about ten minutes until water is absorbed.
- Add apricots and nutmeg, and stir to combine. Let sit over low heat, adding 1/4 cup of water every few minutes while you stir to prevent the mixture from sticking and encourage the grains to take up the liquid.
- While this cooks together, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan and sautee mushrooms until cooked through and they've reabsorbed their water (about 15 minutes).
- Transfer mushrooms to quinoa pot. Remove from heat.
- Stir to combine and serve.