This raw coconut soup is perfect for a hot summer day. The recipe is one that students make during their raw food classes at Natural Epicurean Academy of Culinary Arts in Austin, Texas. Now you can make it in your own home.
Creamy Raw Thai Coconut Soup [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 2 cups dried coconut
- 6 cups water
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, thick center stem removed
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro root or cilantro sprigs loosely packed
- 1/2 medium yellow bell pepper
- ½ medium red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 nori sheets, broken up
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (optional)
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons lecithin powder
- 1 date or 2 teaspoons agave nectar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup wheat-free tamari
- Salt, to taste
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced daikon
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced bok choy
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced yellow pepper
- Handful cilantro leaves
- Handful black sesame seeds
- Blend the dried coconut with 2 cups water until smooth. Then add the remaining water and blend until a coconut milk forms.
- Finely grind the kaffir lime leaves, sesame seeds, red chili flakes, and zests in a coffee grinder. Add these, along with the rest of the broth ingredients to the coconut milk and blend for a few seconds until very smooth. Strain through a mesh bag and discard the pulp.
- Serving Instructions:
- Divide toppings among 4 bowls. Pour broth over veggies. Top with cilantro leaves and black sesame seeds.
If cilantro roots are not available, use stalks. However note this will give the soup a greenish tint.