This soup is a mixture of two amazing vegetables: cauliflower and celeriac, also known as celery root. Their subtle flavors and creamy texture really let the roasted garlic shine through. The roasted shiitake mushrooms add a finishing touch that simply cannot be missed. Garnish with a few turns from your salt and pepper grinders just before serving.
Creamy Cauliflower and Celeriac Soup With Roasted Shiitake Mushrooms [Vegan]
- 2 large garlic bulbs, roasted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-sized head of cauliflower (2 pounds), cut into small florets
- 1 medium celeriac, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, wiped with paper towel
- 1 teaspoon tamari (or apple cider vinegar)
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup of chopped chives, as garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large Dutch oven (or a heavy-bottomed pot) in medium heat. Add in the chopped onion and sauté until translucent, 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the cauliflower florets, celeriac, water, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Cover the pot, lower the heat to medium-low and cook until vegetables are soft, 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the stems of the mushrooms and discard. Slice them into 1/2-inch slices. Spread them on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Give them a gentle stir halfway through. Set aside.
- When the vegetables are cooked add in the roasted garlic, puree soup with an immersion blender (or a food processor or an upright blender) until completely smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning and add if necessary.
- Pour the now-pureed soup back into the pot, stir in the tamari, and heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When ready to serve, ladle the soup into bowls. Top it off with roasted shiitake mushrooms and garnish it with chopped chives.