I’m a wrap star! Yes, I’m Becca Rhymes, in the same crew as Farro Williams, The Roots, and Kale-ye West. Gimme a beet! It’s so simple to be a wrap star: Just take a nori sheet, brown rice wrap, collard leaf, or large piece of romaine lettuce; add everything you want inside; roll it up; and (hip hop) hooray, it’s ready! Collard back, yo!
Green Collard Wrap [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Green Collard Wrap [Vegan]
- 1 large collard leaf
- ¼ avocado
- Juice of 1 small lime
- A pinch of cumin
- A pinch of coriander
- A pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon spirulina powder
- 1 small carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seed oil or olive oil (or healthy, plant-based oil of choice)
How to Prepare Green Collard Wrap [Vegan]
- De-stem the collard by cutting out the thick white stem in the center very carefully with a paring knife. Scoop out the avocado flesh into a small bowl, then add most of the lime juice and the cumin, coriander, cayenne, and spirulina and mash together with a fork. Place the collard on a cutting board or plate and add the fillings vertically along one long side of the leaf, leaving a margin on each side, starting with the avocado mixture, then the carrots, hemp seeds, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with the oil and the remaining lime juice.
- Fold the longer sides of the collard over the filling to cover. Then, from one shorter end, start rolling the leaf up until everything is covered, like a burrito. You can eat it as it is or slice it in half.
Plan to make 1 to 2 wraps per person for an appetizer portion and 3 to 4 each for a light main with a side salad. Recipe from Très Green, Très Clean, Très Chic: Eat (and Live!) the New French Way with Plant-Based, Gluten-Free Recipes for Every Season, copyright © Rebecca Leffler, 2015. Reprinted by permission of the publisher, The Experiment. Available wherever books are sold. theexperimentpublishing.com. Images by Sandra Mahut.