Need your caffeine fix in a dessert? This decadent coffee ice cream is made from cashews, dates, strong-brewed coffee, and a secret ingredient — sweet potatoes. But you (nor anyone else) would be able to tell. It has a rich salted caramel swirl within, but be sure to save some for drizzling on top, along with crunchy coffee beans.
Coffee Ice Cream With Salted Caramel [Vegan]
For the Ice Cream:
- 1 cup cashews
- 12 Medjool dates, pitted
- 2 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
For the Salted Caramel Swirl:
- 1 cup of Medjool dates
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1-2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
For the Topping:
- A handful of whole coffee beans (optional)
- A drizzle of diluted raw vegan salted caramel (optional)
- A handful of dried cranberries (optional)
- A handful of black sesame seeds (optional)
To Make the Ice Cream:
- The night before making this recipe, soak the cashews and dates you need to make the ice cream (not the salted caramel) in water and set aside in the refrigerator. Also, check your ice cream machine instructions; if it needs to be prepped the night before, do that now.
- The next day, cut the sweet potatoes into 4 pieces each and boil until soft. Drain and set aside to cool. Once cooled, peel and mash the sweet potatoes so that they are ready to be used.
- Prepare the coffee, making sure the coffee is strong and full of flavor. Once made, set aside to cool.
- Drain the cashews and dates. Pit the dates if you didn't already and combine the cashews, dates, and half of the coffee in a high-speed blender until smooth.
- Then, add the rest of the coffee, salt, mashed sweet potatoes (you should have about 2 cups), and vanilla extract, then blend until smooth.
- Place the mixture in your ice cream maker and churn until it takes on the consistency of gelato.
To Make the Salted Caramel:
- While the ice cream is churning away, start working on your salted caramel swirl by first melting the coconut oil over a very low, gentle heat and then putting it, together with the (pitted) dates, salt, maple syrup, vanilla extract, and water in a high-speed blender until smooth, with a caramel-like consistency. If need be, add more water.
- Once done, set aside.
To Set the Ice Cream:
- When the ice cream is ready, transfer about 1/4 into a loaf pan. Use some of the salted caramel to cover this layer, then put some more ice cream on top, then another line of salted caramel, so that the salted caramel is like a swirl in the ice cream. Keep some of the salted caramel aside, to use as a topping later.
- Place the ice cream in the freezer for 4 hours and remove 10 minutes or so before serving.