In this recipe, bright, citrusy polenta is combined with roasted root vegetables and a tangerine cashew cream to create a breakfast that's unique and delicious. The polenta is creamy while the root vegetables each add their own subtle flavors, plus some added fiber. The cashew cream bring the perfect finish. Top this breakfast entrée with toasted walnuts and coconut flakes for some crunchy texture.
Coconut Polenta With Roasted Root Veggies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Polenta:
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
For the Roasted Vegetables:
- 3-5 root vegetables of your choice, cut into chunks
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1 cup fresh herbs of your choice
- 1 cup (or so) of fresh squeezed tangerine or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- A few turns fresh cracked black pepper
- Toasted walnuts and coconut, for topping
For the Tangerine Cashew Cream:
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 10 minutes, or overnight
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed tangerine juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
To Make the Polenta:
- Place the polenta, coconut milk, water, and salt into a medium-sized mixing bowl, give it a quick stir, cover, and place in your fridge overnight.
- The next morning, pour the mixture into a large pot and turn the heat to medium.
- Bring to a boil, stir and then turn the heat down until it’s just simmering and no more big bubbles form.
- Cook for 25 minutes, stirring frequently so the mixture doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. You want the mixture to thicken up until it pulls away from the side of the pot.
- Turn off the heat and allow to cool for 5–10 minutes before serving. The final texture should be fluffy.
To Make the Roasted Vegetables:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place all of the vegetables into a large mixing bowl and add the herbs, tangerine juice, mustard, rice vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir until all of the ingredients are combined.
- Place the vegetables on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 50–60 minutes, or until they are done to your liking.
- Take them out of the oven and turn after the first 25 minutes. Place them back in the oven until they are done.
To Make the Tangerine Cashew Cream:
- Drain the cashews and place them into the blender, along with the tangerine juice and the maple syrup.
- Blend on high for several minutes until the mixture is extremely creamy and smooth.
- If you’re using a blender with wide base, you may want to double the recipe, because it takes more ingredients for the blades to catch it and blend.
- Place a portion of the warm polenta into a serving bowl, top with warm roasted root vegetables, and drizzle with cashew cream.
- Sprinkle with toasted walnuts and toasted coconut.