These tasty banana bars are a combination between banana bread and breakfast muffins. If you feel up for some easy baking this weekend, these are definitely a must try! In the process I thought, why not add some frosting? Peanut butter mixed with maple syrup? I mean.. to die for. Even if you don’t feel like baking these banana bars of goodness, make the peanut butter frosting and eat it with a spoon. Maybe? I did yesterday and I don’t feel bad about it at all!
Cinnamon Banana Walnut Bars With Peanut Butter Frosting [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups oat flour (see notes)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or raw, cane, or brown)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- 1 1/4 cup almond milk or any non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup walnuts, crushed into small pieces
- 1/4 cup raw, natural peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- A few tablespoons water, to desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Add in banana and almond milk, mix well. Fold in walnuts.
- Cover a 9x9-inch baking pan with parchment paper and pour mixture over paper. Smooth it out evenly.
- Bake for about 12-15 minutes, until edges are slightly golden brown.
- While that's baking, make the peanut butter frosting. In a small mixing bowl, add peanut butter and maple syrup. Mix until combined.
- Add in a couple tablespoons of water until it reaches a frosting-like consistency.
- I added about 2-3 tablespoons, if you want it more drippy, add more water.
- Let the bars cool for about 20 minutes. I cut the bars first and then spread the frosting over.
To make oat flour, simply blend or food process 2 cups oats.