Smoky spices, hearty walnuts, and a little love turn this plant-based, walnut breakfast sausage recipe into a thing of sausage-y beauty. Prepare to amaze your friends and family with your skills of deliciousness... in only ten minutes. Just look at the nice crust these patties get from the hearty texture of the walnuts – it’s so hard to get the beautiful browning with a plant-based food. And the flavor? Fennel and a touch of maple syrup.
Christmas Walnut Breakfast Sausage [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 teaspoon ground flax or milled chia mixed with 1 tablespoon water, let sit for 5 minutes
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup rolled oats (gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoon olive oil (plus 1 teaspoon additional for cooking)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 4 drops liquid smoke
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (depending on how salty you like them)
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (depending on taste for heat!)
- 1 tablespoon of grilled seasoning blend
For the Grilled Seasoning Blend:
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pulse all ingredients in blender until well combined. Spoon mixture, one tablespoon at a time onto a plate; press into a patty.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium to medium-high heat; add sausage patties, four at a time, cook 2 minutes, or until brown; turn and cook an additional 2 minutes, or until brown.