This orange-vanilla cake with chocolate orange frosting is the perfect dessert all year round. The cake can be made with your choice of whole wheat flour or plain all-purpose flour. Whole wheat desserts can have a tendency to be a little dense and dry, but vegan buttermilk and oil ensure that it is moist and delicious. While most cake frostings are made from a generous helping of sugar, this frosting keeps it to a minimum and relies on orange juice to add sweetness.
Chocolate Orange Cake [Vegan]
For the Cake:
- 2 1/4 cups flour, whole wheat or all-purpose
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (coconut, almond, rice, or soy)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup neutral oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
For the Frosting:
- 1 13.66-ounce can coconut milk, opened and refrigerated overnight
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare two round cake pans. To prepare, grease the pans with coconut oil, or whatever you like to use.
- Measures cup of milk and add 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar.
- In a large bowl place the flour, 1 cup sugar, and baking soda, then mix well.
- Add the orange juice, oil, vanilla, milk, vinegar, and orange zest. Mix well and empty the mixture into the cake pan.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove and let cool. Let the cake cool completely before frosting it.
To Make the Frosting:
- Take only the cream from the coconut milk and put it in a bowl. You can save the remaining liquid for a smoothie or soup.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until everything is perfectly integrated. Test the flavor. If the frosting is very liquidy, put it in the refrigerator until it solidifies more.
- Frost the cake, slice, and serve.