These chocolate chip carrot cake scones are fluffy, buttery, and oh so soft. Studded with gooey chunks of chocolate chips and carrots. The perfect addition to your summer brunch. You can never go wrong with an extra buttery and fluffy scone…especially when it has chocolate.
Chocolate Chip Carrot Cake Scones [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup pitted, Medjool dates soaked in boiling water for 20 minutes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or sub cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Measure out non-dairy milk in a liquid measuring cup. Whisk in apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 5 minutes to curdle. To a high-speed blender, add soaked dates and 3 tbsp of water. Blend until a smooth paste forms. Add a tablespoon or two more of water if needed to help blend.
- To a small bowl, whisk together milk mixture, date paste, and vanilla until smooth. To a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, and salt. Cut chilled butter into small cubes. Use your hands or pastry cutter to cut the butter into the flour until they're pea-sized pieces. Pour in the wet mixture. Stir until the dough just starts to come together. Mix in the shredded carrots and chocolate chunks.
- Transfer the slightly shaggy dough onto a lightly floured surface. Press dough together and form into a 1.5" thick circle/mound (Make sure not to knead the dough too much. The less you do the more flaky and buttery it will be!). Cut into 8 wedges. Place on the prepared baking sheet. Brush tops with a bit of non-dairy milk and a sprinkle of sugar. Bake for 22-25 min. until golden brown. (Optional): Drizzle with icing.