These vegan cupcakes, from culinary school Natural Epicurean, take the g out of guilt. With beets as the main ingredient, you can get your chocolate fix and your vitamins. Beets are high in potassium, magnesium, fiber, phosphorus, iron; vitamins A, B & C; beta-carotene, and folic acid.
Chocolate Beet Cupcakes [Vegan]
- 2 medium beets
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated cane sugar
- 1⁄2 cup almond milk
- 1⁄4 cup safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Line standard 12-cup muffin tin with liners
- Peel the beets and chop them into small chunks.
- Boil in 1⁄4 cup of water for 15-20 minutes, or until tender. Cool slightly.
- Puree the beets with the cooking liquid. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the sugar, almond milk, oil, vinegar and vanilla.
- Gradually mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Blend to combine.
- Add in the beet puree and blend to incorporate all ingredients.
- Using a 2 ounce scooper portion out batter to distribute evenly into the 12 cupcake lined cups.
- Bake cupcakes for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool in tin on a cooling rack before removing from tin
- Top with vegan chocolate ganache.
Store in airtight container at room temp for up to 3 days.