A banana bread with no sugar, eggs, dairy or gluten! How can that be? The ground flax replaces the eggs in this recipe, while the bananas and dates also act as a binder and make this recipe taste sweet without the need for processed sugar.
Chocolate Banana Bread [Vegan]
- 2 medium very ripe bananas (with brown spots)
- 5 dates soaked in warm water for 1/2 an hour, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tbsp water (set aside for 5 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free oat flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180º. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Peel bananas and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash bananas until smooth and add coconut oil, maple syrup, dates, sugar, flax and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add oat flour, almond meal, cacao, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mix together lightly.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips if using.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake for about 45 mins in fan forced oven, or longer in conventional oven. Test with a knife blade – it should be slightly moist when ready.
- Cool on a rack before removing from the pan.