A banana bread with no sugar, eggs, dairy or gluten! How can that be? The ground flax replaces the eggs in this recipe, while the bananas and dates also act as a binder and make this recipe taste sweet without the need for processed sugar. Remember, to only ever use bananas which have brown spots on them. This shows they are genuinely ripe as the starches have converted into sugars.
Chocolate Banana Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 medium very ripe bananas (with brown spots)
- 5 dates soaked in warm water for 1/2 an hour, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds mixed with 3 tablespoons water (set aside for 5 minutes)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups gluten free oat flour
- 3/4 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional extras: 1/2 cup chopped pecans, (or walnuts or cashews) and/or 1/2 cup raw cacao nibs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- Peel bananas and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Mash bananas until smooth and add coconut oil, maple syrup, dates, sugar, flax and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add oat flour, almond meal, cacao, baking powder, baking soda, salt and mix together lightly.
- Fold in the nuts and chocolate chips if using.
- Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake for approximately 45 mins in fan forced oven, or longer in conventional oven. Test with a knife blade – it should be slightly moist when ready.
- Cool on a rack before removing from the pan.