Most of us are so used to having lettuce in salad, but in Asia, there are dishes where it is cooked in oil and served as a side. In this quick recipe, Chinese lettuce is blanched, then scalded in garlic-infused peanut oil. It takes just 5 minutes to make, so if you're on the lookout for a quick side to make or a new way to eat your veggies, give this recipe a try!
Chinese Garlic Oil Lettuce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large head Chinese lettuce
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce or tamari, for gluten-free
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- Separate and chop lettuce leaves in smaller pieces. Set it aside.
- Blanch your lettuce in boiling water. Drain, then set it aside
- In a small pan, add oil then sauté the garlic until golden brown.
- Add the sugar and light soy sauce then turn the heat off.
- Place lettuce on a serving platter, then pour hot oil mixture on top. Serve.