A quick, easy, and delicious meal made with red cabbage, carrots, and bok choy.
Sweet and Sour Bok Choy [Vegan]
- 1 head bok choy
- 2 tablespoons light sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger root, peeled and minced
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded or thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or organic cornstarch
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup agave nectar (1 used 11/2 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons raw apple cide vinegar
- Separate the leaves of bok choy and discard outer leaves that might be bruised or pithy. Rinse bok choy thoroughly. Cut away bottom white secon of bok chou for the grean leafy tops. Place 2 stems of the white bottoms on top of each other and slice down the middle lengthwise. Cut into 1/2-inch diagonal slices. Place the leafy green tops on top of each other and cut in half. Fold over and cut again in half lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces. Keep separate for now.
- Preheat sesame oil in frying pan and sauce ginger for 30 seconds. Add red cabbage and carrots and saute for another 2 minutes. Add bottoms of boy choy and salt. Cover and simmer on low heat for 3 minutes.
- Prepare sauce by dissolving arrowroot or cornstarch in the cold water. Add soy sauce, agave nectar, and vinegar, and mix. Pour on the vegetables and stir until dressing thickens and becomes clear. Now place the greens on top. Do not stir in. Cover and steam for 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Arrowroot Flour