A lesson for lunch! Make it simple, make it quick, and make it nutritious. This chickpea salad recipe ticks all of those boxes. High in fiber and protein, it's the perfect addition to any sandwich or wrap, making lunchtime easy.
Chickpea “Tuna” Melt [Vegan]
For The Chickpea "Tuna" Salad
- 3 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 6 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1/4 cup red onions, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olives, sliced (optional)
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic or 3 finely chopped garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
For The "Tuna" Melt
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 slices vegan provolone cheese
- 1/4- 1/2 cup arugula
- 6 cucumber slices
- 6 Small scoops of Chickpea "Tuna" Salad
- Place all the "tuna" salad ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined. Or you can mash the chickpeas and mayo together, using a potato masher, then fold in the rest of the ingredients.
- Lightly butter each slice of bread, top one slice with vegan provolone cheese, and pop both in the oven until toasty and the cheese has melted.
- Top with chickpea salad, arugula, and cucumbers. Serve open-faced or closed. You can also add your favorite salad or sandwich dressing.