A beautiful fragrant Thai curry served with veganised egg-fried rice.
‘Chicken’ Thai Red Curry With Fried Rice [Vegan]
For the curry
- 1 tablespoon oil (of your choice)
- 2 handfuls button mushrooms thickly sliced
- 1 handful green beans
- 1 eggplant, sliced into large cubes
- 2 handfuls spinach
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 bag vegan 'chicken' pieces
- 1 hanful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 handful unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 large potato thickly chopped
- 1/2 tin coconut milk
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 sprig lemongrass (flattened with a knife and knotted)
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
For the tofu fried rice
- 2 cups dried brown rice, washed with sieve
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1/2 low salt stock cube
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground all-spice
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 handful chopped coriander to garnish (optional)
For the curry
Heat a large deep pan on the stove on medium heat, then add the oil. Once the oil is heated, added the chopped garlic followed by the chopped onion.
Once the onion and garlic have a bit of color (but not browned), add the Thai red curry paste along with 2-3 tablespoons of water to coat the onion and garlic
Once the onion and garlic are coated in the paste, add the sliced mushrooms, eggplant, chopped potato, cherry tomatoes and cashew nuts. Add the chili powder then a tiny bit more water if necessary.
Add the chopped tomatoes, followed by the tomato purée. Add the 'chicken' pieces and knotted lemongrass. Reduce the heat of the pan to a simmer. Leave to simmer for 20-25 mins until thickened.
Once the curry simmers make the rice (see below)
After the curry has thickened add the coconut milk, green beans and spinach. Continue to cook for another 5 mins
For the fried rice
Add the freshly boiled water from the kettle and washed dried rice to a deep pan on high heat.
Add the stock cube, once bubbling, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover for 15 minutes or until soft
Once cooked, drain excess water (if any) with a sieve.
Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add 1/2 tsp of olive oil
Add the cooked rice, all-spice, soy sauce and slat and pepper. Fry until the soy sauce coats the rice
Serve the rice and curry and sprinkle over the chopped coriander- enjoy!
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile