Celeriac, also called celery root, is the perfect candidate for recreating schnitzel, a favorite dish of Austria. When sliced thin and cooked, it becomes tender but retains some firmness. The breadcrumb coating is crispy, the perfect contrast to the creamy mushroom sauce. Whether you are serving guests or a family, this dish is a winner.
Celeriac Schnitzel With Mushroom Sauce [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Celeriac Schnitzel With Mushroom Sauce [Vegan]
- 1 cup soy milk
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- Wholemeal bread crumbs
- 1 celeriac
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegan egg replacer (optional)
- Coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 cup Brown mushrooms
- 1 11-ounce culinary coconut milk
How to Prepare Celeriac Schnitzel With Mushroom Sauce [Vegan]
To Make the Celeriac Schnitzel:
- In a bowl, combine soy milk and flour. Optionally, add the egg replacer, salt, and pepper.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs onto a plate in a thick layer.
- Peel celeriac and slice into thin cutlets.
- Dip each piece in the soy milk/flour mixture, then coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a pan, then fry the celeriac schnitzels on each side until golden. Transfer to absorbent paper to drain.
To Make the Mushroom Sauce:
- Finely dice the onions.
- Wash mushrooms and then cut into quarters.
- In a pan with oil, fry the onions until golden brown, then add the mushrooms.
- Deglaze the pan using the culinary coconut milk, season to taste, and continue to simmer over low heat for 4 minutes.
- Serve alongside the schnitzel.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.