These vegan carrot dogs look and taste just like traditional hot dogs! They’re smokey sweet, full of umami flavor, and made with wholesome ingredients you can feel good about. Perfect for your next BBQ or family gathering!
Carrot Dogs [Vegan]
- 6 large carrots, peeled and cut to 6” lengths
- 1/2 cup (8 oz) of vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) of tamari
- 1/4 cup (2oz) of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon of concentrated hickory liquid smoke (I highly recommend this brand!)
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil for pan-frying
- Prep the carrots- Cut the skinny end off your carrot so that it’s a little longer than the bun. Then peel each carrot so that it’s similar in width from top to bottom. Round off the ends if you like.
- Make the sauce- Whisk all the other ingredients, except the oil, in a small mixing bowl.
- Pour the sauce into an 8-10” saucepan and arrange your carrots on the bottom. The sauce will come halfway up the sides of the carrots.
- Cook the carrots- Cover the pan with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 15 minutes, turning the carrots over halfway through. A foam will develop and that’s totally okay. After 10 minutes check to see if they are soft and fork-tender but not mushy and falling apart. Once the carrots are close to fully cooked, check on them every minute. Extra-large carrots may take up to 20 minutes.
- Marinate- Remove from the heat (and remove the lid). Then let the carrots cool for at least 20 minutes in the sauce.
- If you plan to pan-fry or grill them at a later date, store the carrots and the sauce together, in a bag in the fridge.
- Pan-fry- Pour the olive oil into an 8-10” frypan over medium-high heat. Let the pan heat to the point where a splash of water makes a sizzling sound. Arrange your carrots in the pan and let them cook, undisturbed, until golden brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Then flip them over and brown the other side. You can also grill them on a well-oiled grill.
- Serve- tuck into a rustic bun and top with all your favorite condiments!