A fun twist on traditional carrot cake! This recipe takes all the flavors of carrot cake (carrots, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and orange) and loads them into tasty carrot cake ice sandwiches. Soft and chewy oatmeal cookies loaded with lots of grated sweet carrots sandwiching a generous filling of creamy pineapple-banana ice cream. These cookies make an excellent vehicle for sneaking more ice cream into your life. It’s creamy, sweet, tangy, rich, and makes a refreshing dessert.
Carrot Cake Ice Cream Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Cookies:
- 10 soft dates
- 1 sweet apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup of oat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Seeds of a half vanilla bean
- Zest from 1 orange
- 1 cup rolled oats
For the Pineapple Ice Cream:
- 1 1/2 overripe banana, frozen
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, cut into chunks
- Splash of coconut milk
- To prepare the cookies, combine the following ingredients: dates and grated apples in a food processor and process for few seconds. Add oat flour, shredded carrots, orange zest, spices and process until the mixture starts to come together. Add rolled oats and pulse together. Remove from food processor and roll out between two piece of parchment paper. Cut them into whatever shape you desire, I used circle cookie cutters. Transfer cookies to a dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 115°F about 1 hour both side. Remove from the dehydrator, place them on the wire rack and let it cool completely.
- To prepare filling, place banana and pineapple chunks and splash of coconut milk into blender/food processor and blend until smooth. You may need to scrap down the sides a few times or add another splash of milk to help the mixture move.
- To assemble sandwiches, remove cookies from the wire rack. Place a large scoop of ice cream on the center of half of the cookies. Then place another cookie on top and gently press down.
- Store it in the freezer for a couple of hours before eating. Serve and enjoy.