Here's a wonderful recipe with caramelized pear, onion, and cranberry sauce. A savory tart with rich, sweet flavors. Made with vegan cream cheese.
Caramelized Red Onion & Pear Tart [Vegan]
- 10.6 ounces shortcrust pastry (store-bought or make your own)
- 8 tablespoons vegan cream cheese
- 1 pear sliced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 medium red onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (feel free to use coconut sugar since healthier and tastes like caramel)
- 8 teaspoons cranberry sauce
- 8 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sage
- 1/4 teaspoon pink/sea salt
- season with black pepper
- Preheat oven to 356°F
- Make your pastry or if using store-bought, let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Using a large loose base flan tin, line the tin with the pastry. Trim the sides with a knife and fork the base (stops it rising). Pop back in the fridge for half an hour while you make the filling.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan and add the pear, garlic, and onion. Fry on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes to caramelize everything.
- Remove the tin from the fridge and spoon in the cheese & cranberry. Sprinkle over the sage, salt, and pepper. Add the pear and onion then pour over any liquid from the pan.
- Make sure everything is evenly spread and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove carefully from the oven and let the tart rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with your roast dinner or great with a side salad. Enjoy!