Who says you need a bartender's license to make a truly epic mixed drink? This cocktail is taken to the next level with homemade candied orange peel and homemade sour mix. It's pure love in liquid form! Pull up a chair, let’s whip up these sweet slices while sipping on a candy garnished adult beverage, my bar is stocked!
Candied Orange Peel and Orange Whiskey Sour [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 6 oranges
- 4 cups sugar, plus more for rolling
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 ounces whiskey
- 4 ounces sour mix, combine ingredients as follows
- 4 ice cubes
- 4 tablespoons fruit of choice (I used 2 peach slices)
- Using a pairing knife, make six slits along curve from top to bottom of each citrus fruit, cutting through peel but not into fruit. Using your fingers, gently remove peel. Reserve remainder of fruit for another use (orange curd!). Slice each piece of peel lengthwise into 1/4 inch wide strips. Trim excess pith from each strip, and discard.
- Place strips in a large saucepan, and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, then drain. Repeat twice. This is a good time to do other things close by, but don’t go too far!
- Bring sugar and 4 cups water to a boil, stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved. Add strips to boiling syrup; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently, without stirring, until strips are translucent, about 1 hour. Remove from heat and let strips cool in syrup.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer strips to a wire placed in a rimmed baking sheet. Alternatively if you don’t care to save the citrus simple syrup, feel free to use a colander to strain the peels (I forgot to save it and let all that goodness go down the drain, literally!). Wipe off excess syrup with paper towels, then roll strips in sugar. Arrange in a single layer on a wire rack, and let dry for at least 24 hours. Sugar peels can be stored in an air tight container at room temperature up to 2 weeks.
- With mortar and pestle or muddler, crush fruit of choice until bruised and juicy.
- Combine the whiskey and sour mix in a large old-fashioned glass with ice, add fruit and stir thoroughly.