Caldo de res (or Mexican vegetable beef soup) is a warming, hearty, and comforting dish that hits the spot when the weather is cool. Come see how easy it is to make a plant-based version. You won't believe how delicious it tastes!
Caldo de Res [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Caldo de Res [Vegan]
For the Soup:
- 1-2 tablespoons oil
- 12 ounces vegan ground beef
- 8 cups vegan "No Beef" broth
- 1/2 small white onion, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 small handful cilantro
- 2 ears of corn, sliced into quarters
- 1 large white or Yukon gold potato, roughly cubed
- 2 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1/4 small cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 small zucchinis, roughly chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Hot sauce
- Lime wedges
- Corn tortillas
How to Prepare Caldo de Res [Vegan]
- Form the vegan ground beef into bite-size chunks. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add in the chunks and let them brown on each side, about 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a separate dish.
- Add the broth, onions, garlic, and cilantro to a large stockpot and bring it to a boil. Lower the heat to simmer and add chopped corn, potatoes, carrots, celery, and cabbage. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- With about 5 minutes remaining, add in the zucchini and continue simmering until all the vegetables are tender.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking. Remove from heat and divide vegetables, broth, and vegan beef chunks between serving bowls. Top with hot sauce, lime wedges, and a side of warm corn tortillas. Happy eating!
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.