Shaping these pretzels is a super fun and stress-relieving process. Get your hands moving with these twisty and delicious treats. This recipe is perfect to make with kids or friends! Soon, very shiny, soft, and chewy and fantastically brown pretzels will be ready to enjoy. Pair these with dairy-free cream cheese and soup for a full meal.
Buttery Pretzels [Vegan]
To Make the Pretzels:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoon instant dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar and 1 teaspoon sugar for dough (optional)
To Make the Topping:
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 tablespoons baking soda
- Coarse salt to sprinkle on baked pretzels
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter
- In a large bowl, whisk all-purpose flour, salt, and 1 teaspoon sugar (if you prefer your pretzels slightly sweet)
- In a measuring glass or a deep bowl, take water and sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves. Add yeast. Stir.
- Cover and leave for 10 minutes.
- Add water to flour mix and knead. Knead for 6-8 minutes till you get a very soft, elastic and very smooth dough.
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl. Turn around once so that it is evenly coated with oil. Cover with a kitchen cloth and leave it in a warm place for 1 hour or until double.
- Take water in a deep pan. Add baking soda. Stir. Bring the water to a boil.
- Transfer dough to the counter dusted with flour. Roll out the dough and cut it into 8 equal pieces. You may weigh the dough and then divide into pieces weighing the same size.
- Line the baking sheet with a foil or a parchment paper. Grease the surface.
- To shape the pretzels, work on one piece at a time. Cover the rest with a kitchen towel. Roll the piece into a 28 -30 inches long rope. Now shape it into a U with the two ends pointing away from you. Take the two edges and twist around each other a little away from the ends. First left over right, then right over left.
- Lightly moisten the two ends with water and then flip it towards the bottom of the “U” pressing the ends down. This is the classic pretzel shape.
- Prepare pretzels one by one and place them on the baking sheet and cover with a kitchen cloth.
- Now with the help of a slotted spoon, lift pretzels and gently put them in boiling water two at a time. Boil pretzels for 30 seconds. Turn over and boil for additional 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain, and place the pretzels back on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
- Sprinkle some salt on the pretzels. Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F for 8-10 minutes for until they are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven. Brush generously with melted vegan butter.
- Serve warm or reheat before serving. Suggested: serve with dairy-free cream cheese and a silky smooth soup for a filling meal! You could pair these with a cheese dipping sauce for a fun snack!