The buttery flavor is attained by using a combination of avocado oil (the butteriest!) and a small dollop of vegan mayo. Definitely, use fresh corn kernels if corn is in season but if not frozen will work fine (or leave them out entirely). This vegan and gluten-free dish is southern approved!
Buttery Cornbread Squares [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- pinch chili powder
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or sugar)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup oil (avocado oil is great, but canola, grapeseed, or coconut should work as well)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup corn kernels
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Lightly oil an 8x8-inch or a 9x9-inch baking pan with a bit of neutral oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients, cornmeal through flax meal and stir. In a measuring cup combine the maple syrup, oil, and 1/2 cup water. Add to dry ingredients along with the vegan mayonnaise and remaining water. Stir well to combine.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes until golden and knife inserted comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and cool for another 10 minutes. Cut into squares and serve. Enjoy with vegan butter (or salted coconut oil), chili, salad, you name it!
(Double recipe to make a thicker cornbread)