Check out this mouth-watering vegan pasta bake! Feel good knowing that it is served up with a homemade cheese sauce and plenty of fresh broccoli. The cheese sauce is cauliflower-based and full of delicious spices. And of course, there is the classic vegan favorite in it, nutritional yeast. Just blend up the sauce ingredients, cook the pasta and veggies, pour everything in a dish, top with breading, and bake! So easy (and cheesy!) You can enjoy this indulgent pasta bake knowing that you are getting your greens in the process. So here it is: my own vegan pasta bake, homemade sauce and all, with some of my favorite ingredients: broccoli, tofu, and nooch/nutritional yeast.
Broccoli ‘Cheese’ Pasta Bake [Vegan]
For the sauce:
- 3 1/2 cups cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened soy milk
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 ounces tofu
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter (optional for extra creaminess)
- A pinch of turmeric
- A pinch of thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
For the Crumbly Topping:
- 1 slice gluten-free bread, toasted (or regular)
- 1 heaped tablespoon nutritional yeast
And the Rest:
- 4 cups broccoli and green beans, as desired
- 1 cup gluten-free pasta
- Pre-heat the oven to 430ºF.
- Grease a large ovenproof dish.
- Steam the cauliflower for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender, add the soy milk, and begin blending.
- Add the other sauce ingredients, one by one, until all are used up and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
- Steam the broccoli and green beans for 5-10 minutes.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Combine the pasta, broccoli, green beans, and pasta sauce in a large bowl. Pour into the ovenproof dish.
- In a small bowl, crumble the slice of toast with your hands (or blitz in a food processor), mix in the nutritional yeast, and sprinkle over the pasta.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
Remember that you can easily multi-task when making this dish. While the vegetables are steaming you can also cook the pasta (I steam my vegetables over the pot of pasta), blend the sauce while the pasta is cooking, etc. And of course, clean up the kitchen and lay the table while the pasta is baking. Just remember to keep on eye on things. • The tofu is where it's at in this sauce. If you've ever added tofu to smoothies, you'll know it's the magic ingredients to make them silky smooth. Same with this sauce. Try it, I promise you won't regret it.