In this recipe, spring green leeks and vibrant carrots are celebrated for their naturally delicious flavor. They are braised and brushed with olive oil, fresh rosemary, fresh thyme, and a bit of salt and pepper. This dish does not mask the essence of these veggies but rather, enhances it. It's amazing how a little vegetable broth, fresh herbs, and a toasty oven-sauna transforms these raw vegetables into fork-tender succulence. Sprinkle with toasted pumpernickel crumbs for some added texture.
Braised Leeks and Carrots With Toasted Crumb [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Braised Leeks and Carrots With Toasted Crumb [Vegan]
- 3 leeks, pale green and white parts
- 6 small-medium carrots
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, more if needed
- 1 slice pumpernickel or bread of your choice
How to Prepare Braised Leeks and Carrots With Toasted Crumb [Vegan]
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Slice leeks in half lengthwise and rinse any grit or sand out of them. Place the leeks and carrots in a casserole dish. Drizzle two tablespoons of olive oil over the vegetables and lightly toss to coat. Sprinkle with rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Add two tablespoons vegetable broth and cover with lid or tight fitting aluminum foil.
- Braise for 40-45 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, place the bread in a mini prep food processor and pulse until you have fine breadcrumbs. Transfer breadcrumbs to a small bowl and add remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat. Arrange breadcrumbs in a single layer and bake for 5-8 minutes until crisp. Set aside.
- Transfer the vegetables to a serving platter and spoon any braising liquid over them. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and serve.
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.