Don't be intimidated by this impressive loaf of bread – this is the perfect recipe for a baker who's just starting off. This braided bread is soft, moist, studded with raisins, and has a hint of sweetness that makes it the perfect addition to a nice cup of coffee.
Braided Hazelnut Challah, Two Ways [Vegan]
- Place the yeast into a bowl and mix in the warm soy milk.
- Add a spoonful of cane sugar to the mixture and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour, cane sugar, salt, and oil into the bowl. Thoroughly knead everything for a few minutes.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth and leave it on a warm surface until it has doubled. While the dough is rising, preheat your oven to 355°F.
- For the first version knead the dough again and add in the raisins. Roll the dough into three "ropes," then braid them. Sprinkle with melted vegan butter and cane sugar. Grease and flour a baking sheet and bake you bread for 30-40 minutes.
- For the second version, use a roller to flatten the dough, as thin and wide as you can, and spread the hazelnut spread over the dough. Roll the dough into a cylinder and cut the cylinder in half lengthways.
- Spiral them and transfer dough to a prepared baking sheet or in an oiled pan and bake the bread for 30-40 minutes.