This vegan Boston Creme Pie is classic to the core and dare we say better than any other one we’ve had before? (vegan or not!)
Boston Creme Pie [Vegan]
For the cake:
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons flax meal
- 10 tablespoons hot water
For the custard:
- 2 1/4 soy milk
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the Chocolate Glaze:
- 4 ounces semi sweet vegan chocolate
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon soy milk
- First prepare the cake batter: Combine the flax meal with the hot water and let stand to thicken.
- Add the vinegar to the soy milk to sour, then add the vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- Cream the vegan butter with the sugar until light and fluffy, and this may take about 3-5 minutes on medium to high speed.
- Add the flax paste to the creaming mixture while mixing on medium speed, scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl to incorporate evenly, and whip on high for 30 seconds.
- Add about 1/3 of the flour to the creamed mixture while mixing on low speed just until combined, then add half of the remaining soured milk.
- Add another 1/3 of the flour and the remaining sour milk.
- Add the last amount of flour and mix just to combine evenly.
- Divide the batter between your 2 greased and parchment lined 8" cake pans and bake immediately in a preheated 350°F oven for approximately 35-40 minutes or until they are springy to the touch when you gently press the centers.
- While cakes cool, prepare the custard: Combine all the ingredients except for the vanilla extract and the vegan butter in a medium sauce pot over medium to high heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly to avoid scorching the bottom.
- Once it starts to bubble let it boil on low heat for about 20 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and add the vegan butter and vanilla extract and stir until melted and smooth.
- Prepare the cake layers with an acetate strip and then pour the custard over the bottom layer. Place the top layer of cake and let cool in the refrigerator while you prepare the ganache glaze.
- Combine the chocolate and milk together in a small sauce pot and stir constantly over low heat until melted and smooth.
- Pour over the top of the cake.
Boston creme pie must be kept refrigerated but can stay out at room temperature for up to 2 hours. Store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week wrapped to keep it from drying.