I served my ice cream as a soft serve, but I also froze it in an airtight container and it turned to the same consistency as the ice cream you knew/know and love/d as a non-vegan. I won’t lie; this ice cream is not as creamy as the dairy kind, or the soya or nut-based ice cream you can buy from health food stores, but the banana makes this more than just a sorbet. Not to mention, it cuts the calories by half. At least. So enjoy your ‘ice cream’ guiltlessly! You have my permission.
Low-Sugar Blackberry Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 2 cups frozen blackberries
- 2 frozen bananas, in chunks
- a few splashes of almond milk
- In a blender or food processor, blend the frozen fruit with a little bit of almond milk, adding the milk little by little. Don’t add too much or you’ll just end up with a frozen smoothie; you want to add just a few splashes when necessary. Depending on the speed of your blender or food processor, this will take about five minutes. You may need to stir the ice cream mixture with a spoon between pulsing to make sure everything gets blended (unless you want chunks).
- Serve immediately as soft serve, or place in a container in the freezer for at least one hour before scooping it out.