This stir-fry is a quick, vibrant, uber-healthful dinner for those nights when you just really need a no-brainer. It's tasty, light, and fast. Try this once, and you’ll be hooked — it’s all about the sauce here. Serve this on a bed of rice, or enjoy as-is!
Black Sesame Vegetable and Tofu Stir-Fry With Chili Sauce [Vegan]
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoon chili paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger (optional)
- 1 clove minced garlic (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 heaping cup cubed firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon high-heat cooking oil (grapeseed oil is great for this)
- A pinch of salt, as needed
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 10 small Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed and torn
- 3 cups chopped green beans
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 1 can cut baby corn
- Chili paste and black sesame seeds, for garnish
- In a mixing bowl combine all of the sauce ingredients except for the corn starch. Add the corn starch to the mixture and whisk quickly to prevent lumps. Set aside.
- Start first by preparing all of your vegetables and setting them aside separately. Cube the tofu and set aside. Drain the corn and water chestnuts and set aside.
- When all the ingredients are ready, heat a wok or large braising pan on high heat and add the oil to heat it up. After about a minute, add the tofu cubes and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until the tofu is crispy on the outer edges, about 6-8 minutes. Add the broccoli, brussels sprouts, green beans, and another pinch or two of salt and cook, stirring continuously for about 6 minutes, until the broccoli has turned bright green. Add the kale, corn, and water chestnuts and cook until the kale softens, about 2 more minutes.
- When the vegetables are cooked but still tender, whisk the sauce one last time and pour the entire bowl over the vegetables and stir. Allow the sauce to heat up and as it does, it will thicken and coat the vegetables. Heat and stir gently until the vegetables are fully coated in the thickened sauce. Serve immediately with extra chili paste and black sesame seeds.