Radicchio, also known as Italian chicory, is known for its bold, bitter flavor. In this pie, its distinct taste is balanced by salty capers, savory black olives, and sweet raisins cooked with aromatic chopped onion. It is the perfect pie to serve at picnics and cookouts.
Black Olive, Caper, and Radicchio Pie [Vegan]
- Scant 2 cups type 1 flour
- Scant 2 cups durum wheat flour
- 1 cup water
- 3 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon barley malt syrup or sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 whole radicchio
- 3.5 ounces pitted black olives
- 1/3 cup raisins
- Heaping 1/8 cup salted capers
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- Sweet paprika or regular paprika, to taste
- In a large glass or ceramic bowl, sift flour and salt.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 cup lukewarm water with malt or sugar. Let rest a few minutes, then add it to the flour with the salt. Knead, adding more warm water and 1 tablespoon oil, until you get a soft and elastic dough. Place in a large bowl, cover with a cloth, and put in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume.
- While the dough rises, take make the filling. Halve the radicchio, lengthways, wash, and add to a pan with water. Cook for a few minutes.
- In two separate bowls, soak raisins and capers in cold water. In a wide, shallow pan, fry the onion with a pinch of salt. Cook over low heat until the it becomes transparent, then drain raisins and capers and add to the pan.
- After a few, minutes turn heat up to medium and add the radicchio, paprika, and olives.
- Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Divide the dough into two parts (make one bigger, for the base of the pie) and roll it with a rolling pin to get two discs. Preheat oven to 355°F.
- Lightly brush an 8-inch pie pan with oil and press the base dough into it. Spread filling evenly over the bottom and cover the top with the other disc of dough. Press edges together to seal with the tines of a fork.
- Brush the top with olive oil and bake for about 30 minutes. Let cool thoroughly before removing it from the pan and serving.