A savory bean-based take on the traditional meatloaf. This dish comes together with black beans, oatmeal, and a medley of spices. This black bean loaf has a nice crust and soft interior that just melts in your mouth. I do think that a vegan meatloaf pretty much *needs* a little coating of ketchup baked into the top, but if that's not your thing, then it's not absolutely essential. Use any tomato sauce to serve, I just mixed 50-50 homemade tomato sauce and ketchup. This vegan meatloaf will be a hit at your next dinner party! Serve it with a side of creamed spinach and mashed potatoes for a hearty comforting, and tasty meal!
Black Bean Loaf [Vegan]
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed
- 1.5 cups quick oats
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped.
- 1 carrot, chopped or grated.
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3 tablespoons ketchup (optional)
- Black pepper, to taste
- Water for sautéing.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium pan, water sauté the onions until translucent then add the garlic, pepper and carrot. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, until softened.
- In a large bowl, combine the black beans, oats and all seasonings. Add in the veggies that you sautéed and mash with a potato masher or fork until well combine but not mushy, If it isn't moist enough add water and if too moist add oats until it holds together.
- Spoon "dough" into a parchment paper lined loaf pan and bake for about 30 minutes, until it has developed a nice crust.
- I served with steamed yams and onions and tomato sauce. Enjoy!