How many times have you picked up a box of frozen black bean burgers only to see the words, eggs or egg whites, lurking in the ingredient list? How many “vegetarian” black bean burgers have you consumed at restaurants thinking it was the lone vegan item on the menu? I no longer eat veggie burgers in restaurants because I have no trust in what’s in them. And anyway, the ones I make at home taste much, much better. Like this one!
Black Bean, Corn, and Walnut Burger [Vegan]
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup walnuts, soaked for about 15 minutes, then drained
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn (if using frozen, thaw first)
- 1/2 cup carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon liquid aminos
- 1 tablespoon vegan grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- Approximately 1/2 cup edamame hummus
- Slices of red onion
- Fresh greens
- 4 rolls/buns
- Line a baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a skillet over medium heat, sauté the onions, bell pepper, and garlic in a little water or vegetable broth until soft. Stir in the onion flakes, cumin, coriander, and salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, process the walnuts until finely ground – but don’t go into nut butter territory.
- In a large bowl, mash the beans, leaving some whole. Add the onion mixture, the walnuts, and the remaining ingredients and use your hands to mix everything up. Divide the mixture into four and form into flat patties. Place patties on the baking sheet and place in the refrigerator for an hour or so.
- Preheat the oven to 375F and bake the burgers for 20 minutes, then carefully flip (they will be very soft) and bake for another 20 minutes or until beginning to brown and firm up. Serve immediately with hummus, red onion slices, and greens – or let the burgers sit for 20 minutes or so – they’ll continue to firm as they cool.
- Beans - All
- Beans - Black
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2021 | Total Carbs: 239 g | Total Fat: 84 g | Total Protein: 102 g | Total Sodium: 4737 g | Total Sugar: 47 g Calculation not including red onion or greens. Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
I just made a black bean burger with a stir fry mix- veggie, quienioa(sp), black beans, and some spicy southwest herbs & spices. Topped off with some avocado and mixed greens! Not too shabby…