Nothing says love from the oven quite like pie! Pie is one of my go-to comfort foods in winter and these hearty little vegetarian morsels are as healthy as can be with fiber-rich black beans, veggies, and a spiced sweet potato crust. Honestly, this is so tasty and spicy that you won’t ever miss a pastry casing, and you’ll feel much better for it too!
Black Bean Chili Pot Pie with Cumin Sweet Potato Crust [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 tablespoon oil or vegan butter
- 2 medium brown onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 long red chilies, finely diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cans organic diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 cans organic black beans
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
Sweet Potato Crust:
- 1 3/4 cup sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Olive oil
To Make the Black Bean Pot Pies:
- Heat oil or butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat and sauté onions until soft and translucent. Add garlic and chili, carrots, and celery and cook, often stirring until vegetables have softened.
- Add diced tomatoes and paste, vegetable stock, black beans, and spices, and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower saucepan to a simmer and allow to reduce and thicken for 10-15 minutes.
- Either continue with the next portion of the recipe or allow the chili mixture to cool completely and freeze in 2 cup portions. Thaw completely before reheating. To complete pies, continue with sweet potato topping as follows.
To Make the Cumin Sweet Potato Crust:
- Preheat oven to 392°F. Place sweet potato in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook for eight minutes, or until tender. Drain the sweet potatoes, place them back into the saucepan, add butter and cumin, and mash well until fluffy.
- Place one cup of chili mixture in two individual ramekins and top with half of the mashed sweet potato. Using a fork, scratch topping in a spiral shape and then drizzle a little olive oil on top. Bake for 20-25 minutes, and then place until a grill for a few minutes to create a crusty top.
- Serve immediately.