There is a myth that eating well is a costly endeavor but these taquitos will put this rumor to bed once and for all – they are delicious and very affordable. This delightful finger food is packed with roasted carrots, hearty black beans, and then wrapped in a crispy corn tortilla. Plus, you can get creative when it comes to the toppings.
Hearty Black Bean and Roasted Carrot Taquitos [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 12 white corn tortillas or gluten-free tortillas, if necessary
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- Coconut oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon grated garlic
- Cashew cream
- Throw some toothpicks in water to soak them. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Chop the carrots into sticks.
- Toss the carrots sticks in the lemon juice, chili powder, turmeric, and a pinch or two of salt. Roast the carrots for 10 minutes.
- While the carrots are roasting, combine the red pepper, garlic, and more salt. Rub the coconut oil on both sides of the tortillas.
- In the last minute of the carrot roasting, throw the tortillas in oven to pre-toast them. This will prevent them from getting soggy from the black beans. Remove the tortillas when you remove the carrots.
- Smash the black beans onto the tortillas, and divide the carrots amongst them. Roll up the tortillas and secure them with the toothpicks. Return everything to the oven for 10 more minutes.
- Top them with a drizzle of smashed avocado, cashew cream, Sriracha, jalapeño slices, and cilantro.