These fritters are crispy, perfumed with spices, and incredibly addictive – you have been warned. The thinly sliced potatoes are covered in a savory batter and then fried until crisp and golden. They are everything you want from fried potatoes.
Bengali Potato Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Bengali Potato Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 3/4 cup of chickpea flour, sifted
- 2 tablespoon rice flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon nigella seeds or cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon of red cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, leaves and tender stems
- 2 green chilies, minced
- 3/4 cup of lukewarm water
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup canola or grape seed oil for frying
- 4 medium sized potatoes, thinly sliced
How to Prepare Bengali Potato Fritters [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Place the chickpea flour and rice flour in a mixing bowl and add the salt, nigella or cumin seeds, turmeric, and red cayenne pepper and stir well.
- Add the lukewarm water and mix it well enough to make a smooth batter, thick enough to coat the fritters.
- Stir in the red onion, chopped cilantro, and green chilies.
- Mix it well.
- Place the canola oil in a heavy-bottomed skillet, heat it until a dropped bit of the batter, sizzles, dances, and crisps up easily.
- Dip the potato pieces into the batter to coat uniformly and place in the cooking oil.
- Add enough to fill the pan leaving enough room to allow the fries to be turned without crowding the skillet.
- Cook the fries on each side for about 2-3 minutes, until they're crisp and nicely golden.
- Turn them and cook on the other side. These need to be cooked in batches and with care to allow the batter to get crisp.
- Carefully remove them with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels before serving.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.