When it comes to granola this one is difficult to ‘beet’! Dense in valuable nutrients and fibre the beetroot makes this a highly nutritious snack. Add in a little extra chocolatey magic with the antioxidant-rich cacao nibs.
Beetroot Chocolate Granola [Vegan]
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup beetroot, peeled and roughly chopped
- equates to large beetroot
- 3 - 5 dates, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup date syrup/maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup water, filtered
- 1/3 cup raw cacao nibs
- Preheat oven to 215°F.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oats and seeds.
- Blend beetroot, dates, date syrup, cinnamon, and salt in a high-speed food processor. Slowly add up to 1/4 cup water until you have a thick and creamy paste.
- Pour beet mixture over oats and thoroughly combine.
- Spread out on baking tray and bake for 10 minutes before turning granola to bake it evenly on all sides. Repeat for another two - three rounds or until golden brown. Careful not to burn.
- Add cacao nibs at the end.
- Keep in an airtight container for up to one week.
Layer granola with coconut yogurt and fresh fruit of choice for a beautiful little berry something.